The 'Whalesback' in the North Channel of Lake Huron is a renowned sea kayaking destination. Sheltered passages and gentle beaches on smoothly carved granite islands provide a superlative kayaking summer vacation in northern Ontario, Canada.
As the area is relatively sheltered by numerous islands, this trip is suitable to most sea kayaking skill levels, including novice paddlers. We will, however, "island hop" so exposure to wind and waves is likely at times.
|Trip at a Glance :|
|Dates:||2014: July 6-11|
|Departure:||Algoma Mills, Ontario|
|Price:||$1124 CDN (taxes included)|
|Distance:||94 km at 10-18 km/day|
|Duration:||5.5 days, 5 nights|
|Included:||All-inclusive (meals, tents, sea kayaks)|
|Not Included:||Personal gear, sleeping bag|
|Note:||Ideal for novice paddlers|
For this guided sea kayaking trip we meet at Spanish, Ontario at the Spanish River Inn Restaurant, on Hwy 17, 197 km (123 miles) east of Sault Ste. Marie. There are several motels in the area as well as a Provincial campground at Massey.
If you require return transportation from Sault Ste. Marie, depending on availability of our van, there is no additional charge, but please call ahead to confirm!.
- Day 1: (10 km) Meet at 1:00 p.m. at at the Spanish River Inn Restaurant. We will discuss safety procedures, then drive to the marina where you can park your vehicle for the trip. We then transport you in our van to Algoma Mills (45 minutes). There will be a basic sea kayak and safety course, after which we pack the kayaks for the Turnbull Islands to set up camp.
- Day 2: (18 km) Turnbull Is. to Gowan Is. and vicinity. On this beautiful section, a chain of nine remote islands enables us to island-hop. Bald eagles and beaver are common on this section. The largest crossing is two kilometres.
- Day 3: (19 km) Gowan Is to Conmee Is. We sea kayak the south side of a large pine covered island (John Island) and continue to Conmee Is.
- Day 4: (19 km) From Conmee Is., we paddle east past the south side of Aird Island, to set up camp on Fox Island. This pink granite site with towering white pines is one of the prettiest spots among the islands. We will spend two nights here.
- Day 5: (10 km) From Fox Island, we continue on to the Benjanmin Islands (the white quartzite Lacloche Mountains can be seen several kilometres to the east); we land on Hooks Island to explore a large fossil formation. After lunch we return to Fox Island to relax.
- Day 6: (18 km) Fox Island Is. to Spanish River Marina. We paddle past Airde Island, and an abandoned logging community. We continue to the Spanish River marina, arriving by 2:00 p.m. From there people can depart from the Marina; otherwise, we transport you back to Sault Ste. Marie, to end our guided sea kayaking adventure trip