Paddling and safety instruction is a necessity if you are new to kayaking. Throughout the summer, we offer a morning half-day course " Sea Kayak Basics" and in the afternoon " Sea Kayak Rescues". Those who elect to take both courses receive a $25.00 deduction.See updated calendar, or call for additional dates.
|Trip at a Glance :|
|Dates:||Sea Kayak Basics: 900 - 12:00 AM, summer weekends, beginning June 18
Sea Kayak Rescues: 1:00 pm - 4:00pm, summer weekends, beginning June 18
|Departure:||Goulais Bay, Lake Superior (Caribou-Expeditions)|
|Price:||$75 CDN/per half day, $125 full day (taxes included)|
|Duration:||3 hrs per course|
|Included:||kayaks, wet suit, instruction|
|Not Included:||Personal gear, lunch|
|Note:||Ideal for novice paddlers.
Transportation from Sault Ste. Marie airport (YAM) to Voyageurs' Lodge and return - $100.00
In the morning we assemble at our base on Goulais Bay (just 45 km north of Sault Ste. Marie) for Sea Kayak Basics, and in the afternoon for Sea Kayak Rescues. We introduce you to kayak design and equipment, demonstrate the strokes, wet exit, and in the afternoon practice rescues. So be prepared to get wet!
Note: you need to bring personal gear/clothing; we provide kayaks, etc. (see Provisions and Requirements below).
- 9:00 a.m. Kayak Design, Paddling Gear and Accessories
- 9:20 a.m. Safety - trip planning, skills, water conditions, hypothermia, communication and signalling devices
- 9:40 a.m. Getting fitted into wet suits and kayaks
- 10:00 a.m. - noon. Paddling strokes, wet exit
- 1:00 a.m. - 4:00 pm. Get fitted into kayak and be prepared to get wet: contact tow, in-line tow, T rescue, solo rescue, stirrup rescue, all-in rescue